|Cook / Baker
RockRidge Canyon A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
Job Title: Cook/Baker
Reports to: Food Services Manager
Department: Food Services, RockRidge Canyon
Roles Supervised: Interns and volunteers
Type of Work: Permanent, Full-time
Work Location: Princeton, BC
To apply or ask questions about this position, please contact Jeff Fry, email@example.com.
When applying via email be sure to include a cover letter and current resume.
Our selection process will begin immediately, however, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest in working with Young Life and RockRidge Canyon.
RockRidge Canyon is a Young Life of Canada property in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It also functions as a Christian conference and retreat centre when not being used by Young Life.
RockRidge Canyon is committed to providing “intentional hospitality” to our guests. This means working to consistently exceed the expectations of our guests in quality of service, facilities, and overall experience.
The Cook/Baker will work under the direction of the Food Services Manager to assist and lead food preparation and presentation, receiving and storing food, and kitchen cleaning and sanitation. You are part of a team that strives for excellence in the preparation and presentation of appealing, well balanced and nutritious meals for groups of 25 – 450 people. Food is to be served with excellence and on schedule.
This position is physically demanding and the intensity and focus of this position varies seasonally. The Food Services department serves approximately 50,000 meals during the summer camping season (July and August) and approximately 80,000 meals during the rental season (September to June).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Model Christ in word, deed and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission and values. Represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Provide spiritual leadership to direct reports and volunteers.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff. Ensure that all ministry at RockRidge Canyon is designed and carried out with a dependence on prayer that flows from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ, pursuing personal spiritual growth and involved in a local church.
- Assist with the preparation and cooking of complete meals for guests, staff and volunteers, including dietary options and baked goods, including breads, pastries and desserts.
- Provide leadership to oversee and coordinate specific meals as directed by the Food Services Manager or Head Cook.
- Provide ideas and feedback on menu items in order to maintain relevance in current food culture.
- Properly save and reuse leftovers in accordance with Public Health regulations, minimize waste, and encourage recycling.
- Assist with receiving and storing food supplies and materials.
- Chart temperatures daily for all coolers and freezers as well as operating temperatures for the dishwasher.
- Assist with maintaining an inventory of all food supplies, paper, and chemicals as directed
- Work to ensure that kitchens, dining rooms, and coffee stations are in a state of readiness for all Young Life camps and guest groups.
- Work to ensure Public Health regulations and Food Safe guidelines are followed to safeguard the health of guests, staff and volunteers.
- Work to ensure that safety for all workers (including yourself) is priority one. Enforce best practices, identify hazards, and take corrective measures.
- Work to ensure proper cleanliness and sanitation of kitchens, pantries, fridges, freezers, stoves / ovens and storage areas prior to, during, and after each group. All equipment, laundry and linens are to be properly cleaned and stored following use and work areas are to be left clean and tidy.
- Use the ‘Fix-It List’ to make requests for maintenance known.
- All Food Services employees must dress professionally and comply with standards set by the Food Services Manager. Chef jackets and aprons will be provided.
- Arrive at work on time, properly attired, rested and prepared to work.
- Work closely with Work Crew, Summer Staff, and Interns to help make their experience a positive time of personal and spiritual growth.
- Provide positive, professional, and effective leadership for all volunteers working within Food Services.
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteers as directed, ensuring that they clearly understand the scope of their responsibilities and the performance standards required. Provide feedback designed to improve performance and assist them as required to ensure success.
- Be a consistent example of Christian commitment and enthusiasm.
- Build and maintain positive relationships on and off the property with all contacts, (personal and professional) as an ambassador of Christ.
- Build and maintain a positive profile for Young Life and RockRidge Canyon in the local community.
- Attend all staff meetings as requested.
- Lead by example in cooperating with other departments to work as a team and communicate with other property staff to produce a well-functioning body.
- Be a positive spiritual leader and example to those you work with and serve. This may include leading devotional and prayer times with staff and volunteers.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Effective communication with property departments regarding guest groups. Understand and promote effective interdepartmental relationships as related to service for guest groups.
- Train and supervise seasonal interns
- Occasionally train on-call staff and volunteers to ensure adequate staffing throughout the rental season.
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with the property staff team and the Young Life staff team in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Engage with and foster healthy relationships with the property staff team.
- Attend devotionals and staff meetings.
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful, and healthy work culture.
- On occasion, provide leadership and direction to assigned work staff, both paid and volunteer.
Personal and Professional Development
- Pursue opportunities to learn through books, podcasts, courses, travel to other camps, etc.
Young Life is a relational ministry. Staff must be able to convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and concern for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of our guests in a prompt and professional manner is important and required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and a friendly, professional manner to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
- Observe and report unsafe work conditions to the relevant manager.
- Reply to radio calls professionally and respond to requests quickly and efficiently.
- Operate property vehicles safely; respect all signage, including speed limits and parking.
- In the event of an emergency, established policies and procedures will be followed. All staff are expected to work together to ensure a coordinated response under the leadership of the VP, Property Operations.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ
- Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith. Adhere to Young Life’s Codes of Conduct.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one-year culinary school training or equivalent.
- 1 – 3 years relevant experience in high volume food service environment.
- RRC Food Services department would support sponsoring a Red Seal Cook apprenticeship.
Skills and Abilities
- Have a vibrant and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Subscribe to Young Life’s Statement of Faith. Adhere to Young Life’s Codes of Conduct.
- A team player committed to helping others succeed.
- Demonstrated creativity and passion for new menu items
- Demonstrated initiative – a ‘self-starter’. Focused and organized.
- Good oral communication skills. Able to receive, understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract.
- Must provide a current clean Criminal Record Check upon appointment and every five years afterward as a condition of employment.
- Must maintain current Food Safe I as a condition of employment.
- Standard (Level I) First Aid certification is an asset.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Current clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search required and every five years afterward as a condition of employment.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract required as a condition of employment.
- Able to work a flexible schedule according to seasonal operating requirements.
- Must be willing to relocate to Princeton, BC.
- Work is performed in a rural camp setting.
- Work is performed in a commercial kitchen environment.
- Each day, the worker will experience high and low temperatures from ovens, cooktops, fridges, and freezers.
- Work is not sedentary and requires the employee to walk or stand for up to 95% of the time. Employee is required to look at a computer screen and use a keyboard for up to 5% of the time.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Work is deadline driven.
- Work is seasonal and at times there will be large volumes of work to undertake.
- Cook/Baker will be required to work outside the Food Services Department during non peak seasons. (e.g., December)
Hours of Work
- Generally, the work week is 40 hours, including most weekends during the rental season (September to June)
- Work weeks in excess of 40 hours will be required during peak seasons. Accrued overtime will be banked and paid out as time off in lieu during slower seasons of the year.
- Worker will be required to work with extremely hot liquids and hot cooking surfaces.
- Worker is required to use commercial food preparation equipment such as mixers, blenders, steamers, etc.
- Hazards are considered controllable.
Note: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements. Other duties may be assigned.