|Guest Services Host
RockRidge Canyon A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
Job Title: Guest Services Host
Reports to: Guest Services Manager
Roles Supervised: Various Guest Services Interns, Summer Staff, work staff and volunteers
Work Location: RockRidge Canyon, Princeton, BC
Term: Part time (1 Year)
To ask questions about this position please contact our office.
To apply, submit your resume here: Application Form
When applying via email be sure to include a cover letter and current resume.
Our selection process will begin immediately, however, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest in working with Young Life and RockRidge Canyon.
RockRidge Canyon is a Young Life of Canada property in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It additionally functions as a Christian conference and retreat centre when not being used by Young Life.
RockRidge Canyon is committed to providing “intentional hospitality” to our guests. This means working to consistently exceed the expectations of our guests in quality of service, facilities, and overall experience.
Reporting to the Guest Services Manager, the Guest Services Host (GS Host) is the liaison between RockRidge Canyon and our guests, comprised of both Young Life and rental groups.
The GS Host coordinates guest needs and RockRidge Canyon operations. As a member of a team dedicated to serving the needs of our guests and one another, the Guest Services Host anticipates and responds to those who come to RockRidge Canyon with professionalism, care and excellence. You may host multiple guest groups at a time and must be flexible with scheduling, prepared to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
These responsibilities are to be carried out in a way that honours Jesus Christ. The position demands a strong commitment to serving Christ, facilitating the mission of Young Life as expressed through camping, and serving guests with excellence. As an ambassador for Young Life, the Guest Services Host ensures RockRidge Canyon’s activities promote, enhance, and protect Young Life’s brand. All property staff are expected to represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community. The Guest Services Host subscribes to Young Life’s Statement of Faith and abides by its Codes of Conduct.
- Model Christ in word, deed and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission, core values, and strategic plan. Represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Provide spiritual leadership to direct reports, interns, summer staff and volunteers.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff. Ensure that all ministry at RockRidge Canyon is designed and carried out with a dependence on prayer that flows from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ, pursuing personal spiritual growth and involved in a local church.
- Serve as host to weekend and weekday guests on a rotating basis with other hosts.
- Provide service and communication to Guest Group Organizers from arrival on property to departure. Provide open up and shut down procedures; attend to the guests’ needs, meals, ride schedules; and program events.
- Develop relationships with Guest Group Organizers and become familiar with their goals in order to meet or exceed their expectations.
- Ensure all room set up and take downs, open and shut down procedures are completed.
- Develop and maintain meeting spaces, prop room, and guest services storage areas.
- Assist Guest Group Organizers with program needs and recreation equipment, A/V systems, program events, etc.
- Perform maintenance and preventative maintenance tasks relating to program.
- Assist with the operation of program activities including challenge courses (High Ropes, Tower of Terror, Zip Line) and waterfront (Canoes, Kayaks, Dragon Boats, Party Barge) as required.
- Perform short public speaking engagements to groups of up to 300.
- Be available to help other departments at the discretion of the Guest Services Manager with tasks such as housekeeping, garbage collection, dish pits, and other projects as directed.
- When guests are in camp, coordinate all communication between assigned groups and camp departments.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with the property staff team and the Young Life staff team in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Engage with and foster healthy relationships with the property staff team.
- Attend daily devotionals, staff meetings, staff conferences and daily Bible studies.
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful, and healthy work culture.
Personal and Professional Development
- Pursue opportunities to learn through books, podcasts, courses, travel to other camps, etc.
Young Life is a relational ministry. Staff must be able to convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and concern for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of our guests in a prompt and professional manner is important and required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and a friendly, professional manner to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
- Observe and report unsafe work conditions to the relevant manager.
- Reply to radio calls professionally and respond to requests quickly and efficiently.
- Operate property vehicles safely; respect all signage, including speed limits and parking.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ.
- Involvement in a local church.
- Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith.
Education and Experience
- Experience in a camp setting or a related customer service area required.
- Post-secondary studies in Recreational Administration an asset
- Experience in Young Life and alignment with our mission is critical.
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit sector and experience in a faith-based Christian organization are assets.
- Work quickly and unobtrusively in a busy environment that frequently demands the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated flexibility and responsiveness to schedule changes and requests from guests and staff.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Able to navigate conflict situations.
- Observant, perceptive and detail oriented.
- Creative problem solver.
- Take direction and execute oral and written instructions. Request clarification when needed.
- Able to work in various adverse conditions: heights, temperature extremes, indoors and outdoors.
- Effective verbal communicator and natural encourager. Good written communication skills, including email.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Google Drive. Good keyboarding skills.
Training and Certification
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid Standard First Aid (Level 1) certification. This must be maintained while in the position.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean Driver’s Abstract or equivalent.
- Experience in challenge course operations and/or the aptitude to be trained in ACCT Level 1 certification for high ropes, zip line, pamper pole and other ropes course/initiative areas.
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operator’s License is an asset.
- Clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search, required as a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in a variety of settings, including office, outdoors, at great heights on challenge course elements, over water and in the elements.
- It may require occasional travel to attend training events or conferences, promote camp or meet with prospective clients.
- The work is active in nature, and yet may require periods of time in an office environment, followed by outdoor activities.
- More strenuous physical activities such as running, hiking, running Challenge Course activities, setting up chairs/tables and extensive walking will be required as well.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Operating vehicles, boats, power tools and other fleet equipment will happen regularly and must be done in a safe manner.
- Lifting heavy items may happen from time to time.
- Work environment is generally favourable.
- The work may be outdoors 50-75% of the time depending on the time of year. The position is required to work with teenagers, adults and volunteers of all ages.
Hours of Work
- Guest Services Host position is 24 hours per week and could be paired with Housekeeping or other position within RockRidge Canyon that is needed.
- This position is required to work a non-traditional work schedule including early mornings, late nights, weekends and split shifts. Workdays may exceed 8 hours.
- Long days and/or nights can be expected from time to time.
- This position may include situations that are potentially dangerous, such as working on the high ropes course.
- The employee is required to attend training courses and work in a safe manner at all times. Alertness and attention to standard operating procedures is a job requirement.
- Due to the nature of the job, and our commitment to a safe environment for teenagers and volunteers, the individual is subject to a criminal record check, including a vulnerable sector search, and must submit a current driver’s abstract.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in this position. Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
If you have questions, please contact RockRidge Canyon at 250 870 9030.