|Guest Services Manager
RockRidge Canyon A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
Type Of Work: Permanent, Full-time
Work Location: RockRidge Canyon, Princeton, BC
To apply or ask questions about this position, please contact Carolyn Mortensen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
When applying via email be sure to include a cover letter and current resume.
Our selection process will begin immediately, however, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest in working with Young Life and RockRidge Canyon.
RockRidge Canyon is a Young Life of Canada property in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It additionally functions as a Christian conference and retreat centre when not being used by Young Life.
The Guest Services Manager partners with the property staff team to set a standard for excellence in service and presentation at this year-round conference and retreat facility that exceeds guests’ needs and expectations. The Guest Services Manager ensures superior service delivery and Christ-like hospitality to the property’s guest groups by providing effective oversight and leadership to the Guest Services team.
Reporting to the Vice President, Property Operations at RockRidge Canyon (RRC), the Guest Services Manager builds and leads the Guest Services team with a high standard of hospitality aligned with Young Life’s mission. The Guest Services Manager oversees the hospitality, recreational and program features of the property. The Guest Services Manager also supports the marketing of RockRidge Canyon’s excess capacity (September to June), growing Young Life’s rental revenue, which sustains Young Life’s ministry programs at RockRidge Canyon.
The Guest Services Manager maintains excellent communication between all property departments and Young Life field staff to ensure seamless and excellent service to all guests on the property.
The Guest Services Manager supports the Vice President, Property Operations and the Young Life of Canada Board of Directors to achieve the vision and mission of Young Life to “glorify God by sharing Jesus Christ with the entire next generation” as outlined in Young Life’s Strategic Plan. As an ambassador for Young Life, the Guest Services Manager ensures RockRidge Canyon’s activities promote, enhance, and protect Young Life’s brand, and boost its reputation with relevant constituents, as well as driving broader awareness.
The Guest Services Manager subscribes to Young Life’s Statement of Faith and abides by its Codes of Conduct.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Model Christ in word, deed and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission, core values, and strategic plan.
- Provide spiritual leadership and training to Guest Services staff and volunteers.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff. Ensure that all ministry at RockRidge Canyon is designed and carried out with a dependence on prayer that flows from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Pursue personal spiritual growth.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide effective oversight and leadership to the Guest Services team.
- Responsible to ensure effective communication with other camp departments about guest groups. Understand and promote effective interdepartmental relationships as related to service for guest groups.
- Maintain familiarity with all aspects of property operations (i.e., Food Services, Site & Facilities, Housekeeping, Administration and Guest Services).
- Recruit and train Guest Services staff to ensure adequate staffing throughout the off-season.
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with property staff and other Young Life staff and stakeholders in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful and healthy work culture.
- Ensure superior service delivery and Christ-like hospitality to the property’s guest groups.
- Plan and coordinate guest services. Coordinate with other stakeholders for an excellent and seamless customer experience, ensuring that all guest groups experience the excellence of the Creator and the love of Christ while at RRC.
- Serve as a host to weekend and weekday guests on a rotating basis with Guest Services Hosts.
- Oversee Housekeeping department and initiate check ins with Housekeeping Supervisor
Sales and Marketing
- In consultation with the Vice President, Property Operations, develop and maintain RRC’s reservation, pricing, and administrative policies and procedures for guest group rentals.
- Ensure efficient and timely communication with guest groups such that long-term relationships are developed and sustained.
- Oversee the Guest Group Coordinator(s) and guest group experience, in addition to supporting the RRC Marketing and Sales team to market RRC’s excess capacity such that a strong revenue stream supports Young Life’s summer camping programs.
Young Life Camping
- Cultivate and maintain a constant open line of communication with Young Life field staff and support development of Young Life program and events. Serve as a focal point for information transfer between the field and other property departments during the planning phases of YL summer camping.
- Provide information to Camp Council as requested to support good decision making.
- Maintain thorough and accurate records of summer camping and rental group statistics. Prepare reports for the executive leadership team as requested. Manage recruitment and oversight of the Intern Program.
- Oversee recruitment and placement of Summer Staff.
Financial and Asset Management
- Assist Vice President, Property Operations to develop Guest Services budget. Oversee and manage this budget in accordance with good stewardship and RRC service standards.
- Maintain operation of all program and recreational equipment, including sound and video systems, waterfront and recreational systems.
- Maintain thorough and accurate records regarding guest group size, revenue and costing.
- Personal and Professional Development:
- Pursue opportunities to further grow and develop personal ability and capacity through professional development and training as directed or approved by the Vice President, Property Operations.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ. Involvement in a local church. Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith. Subscribe to Young Life’s Statement of Faith
- RockRidge Canyon is a non-profit Christian organization which has as its primary purpose the promotion of the interests and welfare of those who wish to share in the Christian experience. As such, you must have a vibrant and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as a condition of employment. You must be able to give spiritual leadership to volunteers and interns.
Education and Experience
- Three to five years’ management experience leading a large team at a camp, retreat centre, or similar guest-oriented operation required.
- Significant experience successfully marketing a camp, retreat centre or similar guest-oriented operation required.
- Post-secondary degree in hospitality management, recreation administration or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing risk management of recreational activities.
- Solid knowledge, understanding and experience in Young Life or other youth ministry is preferred.
- Experience in not-for-profit or public organization is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and direct all Guest Services operations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage recreational activities (e.g., waterfront, sports activities, mountain biking, challenge course).
- Demonstrated understanding of AV systems and video.
- Model responsible work habits, effective servant-leadership and good stewardship.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent time management skills. Able to manage conflicting priorities, effectively plan work, and meet deadlines in a high demand environment.
- Superior Emotional Intelligence competencies, including interpersonal and customer service skills. Strong relationship building skills. Strong communication skills. Diplomatic and tactful.
- Integrity to deal with sensitive or confidential material and situations.
- Marketing and sales skills
- Proven ability to provide effective spiritual leadership.
- Natural leadership abilities and confidence. Able to guide, supervise, and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience effectively managing and monitoring budgets up to $2 M. Knowledge of basic accounting principles is essential.
- Results oriented coupled with ability to work with a diverse team. Able to patiently work under pressure.
- Intermediate proficiency in a Windows based operating environment and MS Office suite required.
- Able to work a flexible schedule according to seasonal operating requirements.
- Other requirements:
- Must be willing to relocate to Princeton, BC.
- Current clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search required as a condition of employment.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean Driver’s Abstract required as a condition of employment.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1/ CPR-C / AED required or obtained within first three months of employment.
- Work is performed in a rural camp setting.
- Work is performed indoors and out of doors throughout the year in all weather conditions.
- Work requires the employee to walk or stand for up to 50% of the time.
- Employee is required to look at a computer screen and use a keyboard for up to 50% of the time.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Work is deadline driven.
- Work is seasonal and at times there will be large volumes of work to undertake.
Hours of Work
- Generally, the workweek is 40 hours.
- GS Manager will rotate being on call with other managers.
- Work weeks are non-standard and weekend work is frequently required.
- Hazards are considered minor and controllable.
This description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements. Other duties may be assigned.