RockRidge Canyon A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
Job Title: Assistant Cook
Reports to: Food Services Manager
Department: Food Services, RockRidge Canyon
Roles Supervised: Interns and volunteers
Work Location: Princeton, BC
To apply, complete this short form and upload your cover letter and current resume.
Got questions regarding this position? Contact our office.
Our selection process will begin immediately, however, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest in working with Young Life and RockRidge Canyon.
RockRidge Canyon is a Christian Conference and Retreat Center located in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life of Canada for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
You work under the direction of the Food Services Manager (or designate) to assist with food preparation and presentation, including baking, receiving and storing food, and kitchen cleaning and sanitation. You are part of a team that strives for excellence in the preparation and presentation of appealing, well balanced and nutritious meals for groups of 25 – 450 people. Food is to be served on schedule and at its peak.
This position is physically demanding. The intensity and focus of this position varies seasonally and during peak season (i.e. July and August) the hours can be long. The Food Services department serves approximately 50,000 meals during the summer camping season and approximately 40,000 meals during the ‘rental-season’ (i.e. September to June).
Your responsibilities are to be carried out in a way which honours Jesus Christ. The position demands a strong commitment to serving Christ, facilitating the mission of Young Life as expressed through camping, and serving guests with excellence. Young Life is a relational outreach ministry; all property staff must convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and concern for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of the guest in a prompt and professional manner is important and required. All property staff are expected to represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the preparation and cooking of complete meals for guests, staff and volunteers including special dietary options and baked goods. This includes working most weekends when we have rental groups
- Provide ideas and feedback on menu items in order to maintain relevance in current food culture.
- Properly save and reuse leftovers in accordance with Public Health regulations, minimize waste, and encourage recycling.
- Assist with receiving and storing food supplies and materials.
- Chart temperatures daily for all coolers and freezers as well as operating temperatures for the dishwasher.
- Assist with maintaining an inventory of all food supplies, paper, and chemicals as directed
- Work to ensure that kitchens, dining rooms, and coffee stations are in a state of readiness for all Young Life sponsored camps, guest groups, etc.
- Work to ensure Public Health regulations and Food Safe guidelines are followed to safeguard the health of guests, staff and volunteers.
- Work to ensure that safety for all workers (including yourself) is priority one. Enforce best practices, identify hazards, and take corrective measures.
- Work to ensure proper cleanliness and sanitation of kitchens, pantries, fridges, freezers, stoves / ovens and storage areas prior to, during, and after each camp use. All equipment, laundry and linens are to be properly cleaned and stored following use and work areas are to be left clean and tidy.
- Use the ‘Fix-It List’ to make requests for maintenance known.
- Provide positive, professional, and effective leadership for all volunteers working within Food Services.
- Assist with training and supervision of volunteers as directed, ensuring that they clearly understand the scope of their responsibilities and the performance standards required. Provide feedback designed to improve performance and assist them as required to ensure success.
- Be a consistent example of Christian commitment and enthusiasm.
- Build and maintain positive relationships on and off the property with all contacts, (personal and professional) as an ambassador of Christ.
- Build and maintain a positive profile for Young Life and RockRidge Canyon in the local community.
- Attend all staff meetings as requested.
- Communicate with other property staff to ensure harmonious relationships and an effective work environment to maximize our human resources.
- Lead by example in cooperating with other departments to work as a team and produce a well-functioning body.
- Be a positive spiritual leader and example to those you work with and serve. This may include leading devotional and prayer times with staff and volunteers.
- Arrive at work on time, properly attired, rested and prepared to work.
- All Food Services employees must dress professionally and comply with standards set by the Manager. Chef jackets and aprons will be provided. Ear buds and/or ear phones may not be worn at work.
- Participate in professional or spiritual development courses, seminars, or conferences as directed by or approved by the Food Services Manager.
- In the event of an emergency, established policies and procedures will be followed. All staff are expected to work together to ensure a coordinated response under the leadership of the Property Manager.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of culinary school training or equivalent preferred.
- 1 – 3 years relevant experience in a high volume food service environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Have a vibrant and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Subscribe to Young Life’s Statement of Faith. Adhere to Young Life’s Codes of Conduct.
- A team player committed to helping others succeed.
- Flexibility to work in different areas both inter and intra-departmentally.
- Demonstrate some creativity and passion for good food and Christ centered customer service.
- Demonstrated initiative – a ‘self-starter’. Focused and organized.
- Good oral communication skills. Able to receive, understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract.
- Must maintain current Food Safe I as a condition of employment. Standard (Level I) First Aid certification is an asset.
- Must provide a current clean Criminal Record Check upon appointment and every five years afterward as a condition of employment.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Work is performed in a rural camp setting.
- Work is performed in a commercial kitchen and bakery environment.
- Each day, the worker will experience high and low temperatures from ovens, cooktops, fridges, and freezers.
- Work is not sedentary and requires the employee to walk or stand for up to 95% of the time. Worker is required to look at a computer screen and use a keyboard for up to 20% of the time.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Work is deadline driven.
- Work is seasonal and at times there will be large volumes of work to undertake.
Hours of Work
- Generally, the work week is 20-40 hours.
- Work weeks in excess of 40 hours will be required during peak seasons.
- Extra hours are to be banked and used as extra days off.
- Worker will be required to work with extremely hot liquids and hot cooking surfaces.
- Worker is required to use commercial food preparation equipment such as mixers, blenders, steamers, etc.
- Hazards are considered controllable.
Note: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements. Other duties may be assigned.