RockRidge Canyon A Young Life of Canada property
Princeton, British Columbia, Canada
To apply or ask questions about this position, please contact Tami Robinson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
When applying via email be sure to include a cover letter and current resume.
Our selection process will begin immediately, however, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest in working with Young Life and RockRidge Canyon.
Job Title: Housekeeper
Reports to: Housekeeping Supervisor
Department: Guest Services, RockRidge Canyon
Roles Supervised: Interns, Work Crew, Volunteers
Type of Work: Full Time
Work Location: Princeton, BC
RockRidge Canyon is a Young Life of Canada property in Princeton, British Columbia, owned and operated by Young Life for the purpose of reaching teenagers with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It also functions as a Christian conference and retreat centre when not being used by Young Life.
RockRidge Canyon is committed to providing “intentional hospitality” to our guests. This means working to consistently exceed the expectations of our guests in quality of service, facilities, and overall experience.
Reporting to the Housekeeping Supervisor, the Housekeeper partners with the property staff team to set a standard of excellence in service and presentation that exceeds guests’ needs and expectations. The Housekeeper ensures Christ-like hospitality to the property’s guest groups by providing exceptional cleaning services, professional bed making and fulfillment of last-minute tasks as required.
The core work places will be Wolfe Creek Lodge (WCL), three dorm lodges, Pinnacle day lodge and The Rock theatre. RockRidge Canyon has different operating seasons, some of which require seasonal staff, temporary volunteers, and additional staff from other departments. The Housekeeper will be required to work alongside a variety of people, and on occasion may be asked to ensure proper introduction and training to the relevant housekeeping tasks.
The Housekeeper maintains excellent communication between all property departments and Young Life field staff to ensure seamless and excellent service to all guests on the property. The Housekeeper may support the Housekeeping Supervisor with supply ordering, inventory management, and budget preparation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Model Christ in word, deed and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission and values. Represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Provide spiritual leadership to direct reports and volunteers, if applicable.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff. Ensure that all ministry at RockRidge Canyon is designed and carried out with a dependence on prayer that flows from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ, pursuing personal spiritual growth and involved in a local church.
- Refer and adhere to all Housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Receive daily information from Housekeeping Supervisor regarding housing and linen requirements.
- Refer to Housekeeping Manual for all cleaning procedures and standards
- Implement cleaning policies and procedures.
- Inspect facilities to ensure established safety and cleanliness standards are met.
- Report and recommend additional services required such as painting, repair work, renovations, replacement of furnishings and equipment and other deficiencies.
- Ensure that storage areas and carts are well stocked and tidy.
- Complete all assigned duties for the main Pinnacle building, dorm rooms, guest rooms, lounges, washrooms, etc.
- Clean rooms, hallways, lobbies, restrooms, lounges, corridors, stairways, elevators and other work areas so that health standards are met.
- Empty wastebaskets and garbage cans and transport to waste disposal areas.
- Restock paper products and linens as needed.
- Sweep, scrub, wax and/or polish floors using brooms, mops and/or power scrubbing machines.
- Demonstrate proper usage of both commercial and residential equipment, which includes usage of chemicals.
- Keep Laundry Room and other work areas (janitor’s closets in dorms) clean, tidy, stocked and orderly.
- Responsible for collection of dirty linens, sorting, washing, folding and ironing (WCL), including kitchen and pool towels, and returning to proper storage places.
- Move and arrange furniture, turn mattresses.
- Disinfect equipment and supplies. Keep products well stocked, clearly labeled and organized.
- Follow proper procedures for mixing chemicals, abiding by all safety, WHMIS and MSDS procedures.
- Work in conjunction with the Housekeeping Supervisor to ensure proper staffing levels.
- Abide by lost and found policy and procedure.
- Train and supervise seasonal interns.
- Occasionally train on-call staff and volunteers to ensure adequate staffing throughout the rental season.
- Arrive at work on time, properly attired and prepared to work.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively communicate with other property departments regarding guest groups. Understand and promote effective interdepartmental relationships as related to service for guest groups.
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with the property staff team and the Young Life staff team in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Engage with and foster healthy relationships with the property staff team.
- Attend devotionals and staff meetings.
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful, and healthy work culture.
- On occasion, provide leadership and direction to assigned work staff, both paid and volunteer.
Personal and Professional Development
- Pursue opportunities to learn through books, podcasts, courses, travel to other camps, etc.
Young Life is a relational ministry. Staff must be able to convey a sense of Christ-like hospitality and concern for guests and staff. Responding to the unexpected needs of our guests in a prompt and professional manner is important and required.
- Maintain a positive attitude and a friendly, professional manner to create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
- Observe and report unsafe work conditions to the relevant manager.
- Reply to radio calls professionally and respond to requests quickly and efficiently.
- Operate property vehicles safely; respect all signage, including speed limits and parking.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ.
- Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith. Abide by Young Life’s Codes of Conduct.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma preferable.
- Previous commercial housekeeping experience an asset.
- Previous supervisory and leadership experience an asset.
- WHMIS training an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Detail orientated, enjoys a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task.
- Time management and leadership skills are necessary to set goals and priorities to meet the need of group.
- Able to provide effective spiritual leadership.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be able to perform physical labour for extended periods of time and lift 50lbs.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract required.
- Current clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search required.
- Able to work a flexible schedule according to seasonal operating requirements.
- Work is performed in a rural camp setting.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors throughout the year in all weather conditions.
- The work is active in nature.
- Work requires the employee to walk or stand for up to 75% of the time.
- Lifting heavy items up to 50 lbs is required.
- The employee is required to see, talk and hear.
- Work is deadline driven.
- A times there will be large volumes of work to undertake.
Hours of Work
- Work week is 40 hours per week.
- Work weeks are non-standard and weekend work is frequently required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in this position. Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.